Unable to Append Data To Extract From a .csv File
Published: 07 Mar 2017
Last Modified Date: 22 Mar 2018
IssueWhen attempting to append data to an extract from a .csv file in Tableau Desktop 10.2, the following error might occur:
"Internal Error - An Unexpected error occur ed and the operation could not be completed"
- Tableau Desktop 10.2.0
- Windows 7 Enterprise
- Text Files
Upgrade to Tableau Desktop 10.3 or 10.2.8. For more information, see Upgrading Tableau Desktop.
Try one of the following alternative workarounds:
- Add the CSV as a second connection and use Append Data from Data Source instead of Append Data from File.
- Perform a wildcard union in a single data connection, and then create the extract. See Union Wildcard Search for more information.
- Build a manual union using the following steps:
- Connect to the primary file
- Select Extract
- Connect to the file with the data you want to add.
- Drag the second file out to create a new union.
- keep the default 'specific (manual)' union option.
- Update both files
- Refresh the extract to update with the new rows.
CauseThis behavior is related to known issues (ID: 625052 and 653064) that has been fixed in a later version of Tableau Desktop.