Tableau Server Ports Changed to 8000 and Higher
Published: 10 Jun 2015
Last Modified Date: 11 Mar 2019
IssueAll Tableau Server are reassigned to port 8000 and higher in both "tabsvc.yml" and "workgroup.yml"
Additionally, some of the following issues might occur:
- When you try to restart Tableau Server, Postgres and/or the Data Engine will not start
- Postgres might not be accessible via port 8060
- Tableau Server will start, but Internal Server errors occur because some wgservers and vizqlservers are unreachable.
At the command prompt, run the following commands in order:
- Open Command Prompt as an Administrator
- Navigate to Tableau Server bin directory
tabadmin set <port setting name> -d
- Enter a list of the ports to change, one port per line.
- Tableau Server is designed to check ports before starting components. If desired port(s) are occupied, another port is assigned from 8000 range permanently (both config files are changed).
- Normally you cannot "start" Tableau Server if it is already started. However if something happened to "tabsvc" process (e.g. terminated manually or crashed), then it is possible to start Tableau Server while the rest of the processes are still running.
- If the scenario above occurred and Tableau Server was started for the second time, a new set of processes is created. Since previous processes are still running, ALL ports are busy and thus permanently reassigned in the configuration.