Error "Tableau has stopped working" Launching Tableau Desktop
Published: 02 Jul 2018
Last Modified Date: 05 Jul 2018
IssueWhen launching Tableau Desktop, the following error occurs:
Tableau has stopped working
A problem caused the program to stop working correctly. Please close the program.
Additionally, no error message is observed in Tableau Desktop logs, and no dump files are generated in the logs folder.
- Tableau Desktop 2018.1
- Windows 10
Option 1: Repair the Tableau Desktop installation
- Navigate to Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features.
- Select Tableau Desktop in the list of programs.
- Click Uninstall/Change.
- In the Modify Setup window that appears, click Repair, and allow the repair process to finish.
Option 2: Run Tableau Desktop as Administrator
- Right-click the start icon for Tableau Desktop and select Run as administrator.
- Enter administrator credentials when prompted.
Option 3: Add an exception in security applications
Work with your local IT team to add an exception in any antivirus and firewall applications for C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Desktop 2018.1.1 (if Tableau Desktop is installed in the default location).
Option 4: Check group policies
Work with your local IT team to check whether group policies are preventing Tableau Desktop processes from running on your computer.
CauseInstallation was corrupted, or some permissions or firewall setting prevented Tableau Desktop from launching correctly.