1. Open a Windows Command Prompt.
2. Run the following command at the command line to specify the Java heap space when launching Tableau Desktop:
"C:\Program Files\Tableau\<Tableau version>\bin\tableau.exe" -DJdbcVmOptions="-Xmx16g"
Note: Replace <Tableau version> with your Tableau version. If your PC has more than 16GB of memory, you may change the number in the command line accordingly.
3. Connect to your OData table and create an extract.
1. On the computer running Tableau Desktop, right-click the Tableau Desktop icon, and then click Properties.
2. On the Shortcut tab, in Target, append -DJdbcVmOptions="-Xmx16g" to the existing statement, and then click OK.
example: "C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau 2022.3\bin\tableau.exe" -DJdbcVmOptions="-Xmx16g"
Note: If your PC has more than 16GB of memory, you may change the number in the command line accordingly.
Launching Tableau Desktop using this modified shortcut, will launch with this Java heap size for any instance opened. You can create a copy of the Tableau Desktop shortcut and modify it to have two different instances, one modified and one using the default settings.