Last Modified Date: 06 Nov 2019
ResolutionWhile this feature has not been implemented in Tableau at the moment, as workaround the following options may help. These options have been added to a sample workbook and attached to article.
The desired sort in sample workbook for "category" is "a,c,b,d" with "rank" values "1,2,3,4".
Step 1 - Create calculated fieldsCreate a calculated field that concatenates the sorted measure with filter field which will force the sort:
- Select Analysis > Create calculated field
- Name the calculated field "_rank_category"
- Enter the following formula and click OK:
STR([rank]) +' - ' + [category]
Step 2 - Build the viewFollow the steps below to sort "category" field based on "rank" field:
- Add “category” to “Rows” and “amount” to “Text” in Marks
- Add “category” to “Filters” and “Show Filter”
- Select “Sort” for category” in “Filters and select below:
- Sort Order: Ascending
- Sort by: Field: rank – Aggregation: Minimum
- Add "_rank_category" to filter
This setting sorts the view based on rank value.
CauseThe ability to sort quick filter items by a specific measure is not currently a feature in Tableau Desktop.
Additional InformationTo voice your support for the inclusion of this feature in a future product release, add your vote to the following Community Idea:
Discuss this article...
Thank you for providing your feedback on the effectiveness of the article.
Open new Case
Training and Tutorials