Last Modified Date: 04 Aug 2020
- Tableau Server
- Enable Automatic Login on (SSPI)
- Internet Explorer
In Internet Explorer, add the URL for your Tableau Server to the Local Intranet or Trusted Sites security zone. For more information, see Change security and privacy settings for Internet Explorer 11 in the Microsoft knowledge base.
Enable automatic logon with current user name and password.
- In Internet Explorer, navigate to Settings > Internet Options.
- On the Security tab, click Custom Level.
- Under User Authentication, select Automatic logon with current user name and password.
Step 3If the above steps do not resolve the issue, ensure that domain nickname used by Windows is mapped in Tableau Server.
- On the computer where the login issue is being experienced, open a command prompt and run
whoami. Note the domain used. For more information, see whoami at Microsoft.
- On the computer running Tableau Server, open a command prompt as an administrator.
- Change directory to the Tableau Server bin directory, located by default at
C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\<version>\bin.
- Run the following commands:
tabcmd login -s http://localhost/ -u <login name> -p <password>
tabcmd listdomains, it will need to be added.
- If the missing domain is a domain nickname for a domain listed by
tabcmd listdomainswith an incorrect nickname, the nickname can be modified using the command
tabcmd editdomain --id <id number from "tabcmd listdomains"> --nickname <nickname used by "whoami" in quotes>.
- If the missing domain is a domain name that is incorrectly listed in
tabcmd listdomains, the domain name can be updated using the command
tabcmd editdomain --id <id number from "tabcmd listdomains"> --name <domain name used by "whoami" in quotes>".
- If the nickname and domain returned by
whoamiare both missing from tabcmd listdomains, have the user explicitly login to Tableau Server using the Fully Qualified Domain Name first. This will add the domain to Tableau Server. Then use
tabcmd editdomainto make any changes.
CauseWhen automatic login is enabled, Tableau Server uses NTLM authentication to pass user credentials through a browser. In Internet Explore and Chrome, NTLM is only allowed for sites in the Local Intranet and/or Trusted Sites zones.
Additional InformationHow to use security zones in Internet Explorer at Windows support.
Discuss this article...