Last Modified Date: 08 Jul 2022
- Tableau Server
- Tableau Cloud
ResolutionOpening the CSV file using a text editor, such as Notepad or Sublime, would show all of the numeric characters in the affected columns.
To change the behavior in Excel, import the data from the CSV file (instead of just opening the file). For example:
- Open Excel and create a new blank workbook.
- Select the Data menu > From Text/CSV.
- Select the CSV file > Import.
- On the preview dialog, check to see if the data is displayed correctly. If the data displayed is still incorrect, click Transform.
- In Power Query Editor, select the affected column, and then select the Transform menu > Data Type > Text > Replace current.
- Select the Home menu > Close & Load.
CauseExcel displays numeric strings containing more than 11 characters in scientific notation. You can read more about this Excel behavior in the following Microsoft Community discussion: Excel csv files converting long numbers to scientific notation.
Thank you for providing your feedback on the effectiveness of the article.
Open new Case
Training and Tutorials