Last Modified Date: 18 Oct 2019
- Tableau Desktop
- Web Map Service (WMS)
ResolutionTableau Desktop maps use the EPSG 3857 (Web Mercator) projection while WMS servers use the EPSG 4326 or EPSG 4269 projections. The EPSG 4326 projections may look distorted, particularly at northern latitudes.
To determine if the distortion is expected:
- Connect to the WMS server in a program such as QGIS and compare the distortion there to the distortion in Tableau Desktop.
CauseTableau Desktop supports WMS server maps that adhere to:
- WMS 1.1.1 standards
- EPSG:4326 and EPSG:4269
- Tableau Desktop will not alter map tiles received from a WMS Server.
- Fiddler trace can reveal the WMS standard and EPSG the WMS server is using. Verify the following information is in the XML found in the Fiddler trace:
- SRS = EPSG:4326 or EPSG:4269
- WMT_MS_Capabilities [ version 1.1.1 ]
- You can use Fiddler to ensure the map tiles retrieved from the WMS Server appear without distortion:
- Open HTTP trace that recorded traffic from WMS server
- Right-click on any image retrieved
- Select Save
- Select ...and Open as Local File
Discuss this article...
Thank you for providing your feedback on the effectiveness of the article.
Open new Case
Training and Tutorials