Lod and Table Calculations Show as "Undefined" in Data Preview
Published: 19 Apr 2018
Last Modified Date: 20 Apr 2018
- When viewing level of detail (LOD) or table calculations in the data preview in the Data Source tab, the values of the calculations show as "Undefined".
- When mousing over the information icon for the calculation, Tableau displays the following message:
This field contains an aggregate calculation which only contains meaningful data in the visualization's level of detail
- Tableau Desktop
- Level of detail (LOD) calculations
- Table calculations
ResolutionNo action is needed.
This behavior is by design to prevent displaying unexpected results for the calculations in the data preview, which could cause confusion.
The calculations will show expected results when placed in views.
- LOD calculations repeat the same value for every record in the underlying data, which would make the calculation appear to be returning duplicated results. However, when an LOD calculation is aggregated Tableau Desktop performs additional logic so the result is not duplicated.
- Table calculations depend on the level of detail in the view to compute a result. Without the context of a view, the calculation is invalid.