Internal Error or blank Screen When Signing Into Another Site from Tableau Desktop
Published: 18 Oct 2016
Last Modified Date: 15 Mar 2017
IssueWhen clicking 'Sign into another site' in Tableau Desktop, the following issues may occur:
- You may see a blank sign-in screen.
- The following error message might occur: internal error
- The following error message might occur: Cannot connect to Tableau Server. Please check the server name and port and try again.
- Tableau Server 9.3.8 and older
- Tableau Server 10.0.1 and older
- Tableau Desktop 10.0.1 and older
- Tableau Server on a non-default port
Upgrade to Tableau Desktop 10.1.3. For more information, see Upgrading Tableau Desktop.
Try one of the following alternative workarounds:
- Change Tableau Server to run on the default port.
- Try connecting to Tableau Server with the loadbalancer or proxy URL (if one exists) so that the port is not specified in the url.
CauseThis behavior occurs when Tableau Server is using a non-default port and that port is specified in the URL when connecting from Tableau Desktop. This issue is related to the ID: 578531 that has been fixed in a recent version of Tableau Desktop.