Extract Refresh Unsuccessful When Using User Filters or Impersonation
Published: 07 Feb 2014
Last Modified Date: 31 Oct 2018
IssueWhen you try to refresh an extract on Tableau Server, one or more of the following errors might occur:
- Cannot evaluate user filter; no current user or group
- An internal error occurred while establishing an impersonated database connection
- Cannot establish an impersonated database connection when connected as a Tableau guest user
- Tableau Server
- User filters
For the error message "Cannot evaluate user filter..."
If you would like to be able to refresh the extract while it is embedded in the workbook,republish the workbook and specify the thumbnail when publishing.
If you publish using tabcmd, specify the option
For the error messages "An internal error occurred while establishing an impersonated database connection" or "Cannot establish an impersonated database connection when connected as a Tableau guest user"
- Download the workbook and open in Tableau Desktop
- Publish the extract datasource to Tableau Server, replacing the datasource in the workbook with the published datasource.
- Republish the workbook to Tableau Server.
CauseWhen trying to refresh a workbook which contains an extract and has user filters, Tableau Server may evaluate the user filter in order to generate the thumbnail.
The extract is joined to a live connection which uses impersonation, however an extract cannot be refreshed using impersonation.