Last Modified Date: 31 Jul 2020
- Tableau Desktop
ResolutionThe above error message may have several causes. Follow the instructions below starting with Option 1, then moving to the next option if errors persist.
Option 1Ensure that you are running Tableau Desktop as an administrator by right-clicking the application icon and selecting ‘Run as administrator’.
Option 2On the computer running Tableau Desktop, click the Start button and then select All Programs > Accessories > Run.
- Enter services.msc and then click OK.
- Verify that FLEXnet Licensing Service or FLEXnet Licensing Service 64 is listed as “Started” in the Status column. If FLEXnet is not listed as “Started”, right-click the name of the service and then select Start.
Option 3If option 1 and 2 did not resolve the issue, try repairing the trusted storage by following the instructions in Troubleshoot Tableau Desktop Installation #: 4. Repair trusted storage.
Option 4If the problem persists, then the issue may be that FlexNet is not being run as an admin. Ensure the License Service is run as an Administrator. To allow Tableau to run optimally, set the FlexNet executable to always run as admin by following these steps:
- Navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FlexNet Publisher
- Right-click FNPLicensingService64.exe > Properties > Compatibility and check 'Run this program as an administrator'
- Click OK.
Option 5Some behavior monitoring software such as Trend Micro OfficeScan can interfere with Tableau's functioning as it looks for unknown malware behavior.
Work with your IT Security team to allowlist Tableau and FlexNet by adding the following processes as Approved Programs under the Behavior Monitoring system:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FlexNet Publisher\FNPLicensingService64.exe
C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau <version>\bin\tableau.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Tableau\Tableau <version>\bin\tableau.exe
Finally, try to uninstall and re-install Tableau Desktop. For more information, see Upgrading Tableau Desktop in the Tableau Knowledge Base.
Option 7If none of the above steps resolve the error, please contact Technical Support and include the
LicResults.txtfile that you created in the above steps under Repair trusted storage.
CauseOne of the following:
- Tableau or FlexNet was not being run as an administrator
- Behavior monitoring system was interfering with Tableau's functioning
- Tableau Desktop did not install correctly
Additional InformationClicking 'Refresh' in the Manage Product Keys tool may allow you to continue working until the error pops up again. This error does not prevent Tableau Desktop from working, but can inhibit productivity as it may take up to 5 minutes to clear.
Discuss this article...