Connections and refreshes of ODBC data sources on Tableau Server may fail (intermittently or consistently) after Trend Micro's July 2023 update was installed on the Tableau Server machine.
Error messaging depends on data source, environment, and stage on which it fails, but may include one or more of the following examples and error codes.
- ODBCProtocolImpl::Connect: Error: Unable to connect
- [ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified
- The connection to <Data Source> had a fatal error and was disconnected. Communication with the Tableau Protocol Server process was lost. Tableau Protocol Server process might be terminated, possibly due to system resource constraints or another external source
- IPC_NamedPipe::Select(WaitForMultipleObjects): Timeout. Tabprotosrv cannot start or shut down unexpectedly.
- "Unable to connect to the <Data Source> "<Data Source URL>". Check that the server is running and that you have access privileges to the requested database."