Last Modified Date: 30 Nov 2018
- Tableau Desktop 10.5 and later
ResolutionThe ability to implement conditional viz in tooltip is currently not built into the product.
As a workaround follow the steps belowThe instructions are demonstrated in the attached workbook, which is using the Sample - Superstore data source. In this workbook, the viz in tooltip depends on "Segment".
- Create 3 sheets called "Tooltip For Consumer", "Tooltip For Corporate" and "Tooltip For Home Office".
- Click Analysis > Create Calculated Field.
- Create a calculated field named "For Tooltip" with the following formula:
IF [Segment]="Consumer" THEN '<Sheet name="Tooltip For Consumer" maxwidth="300" maxheight="300" filter="<All Fields>">' ELSEIF [Segment]="Corporate" THEN '<Sheet name="Tooltip For Corporate" maxwidth="300" maxheight="300" filter="<All Fields>">' ELSE '<Sheet name="Tooltip For Home Office" maxwidth="300" maxheight="300" filter="<All Fields>">'END
- Open a new sheet and name it "Source Sheet" and place Sales on columns, "Category" and "Segment" on rows, and "For Tooltip" on the Details mark.
- On the Marks card, click Tooltip.
- In the edit tooltip window, click Insert > "For Tooltip".
- Again, click Insert > Sheets > "Tooltip For Consumer". Repeat this step for "Tooltip For Corporate" and "Tooltip For Home Office".
- Change maxwidth and maxheight to 1 for all the inserted tooltip sheets.
CauseThe ability to implement conditional viz in tooltip is currently not built into the product.
Additional InformationThe filtering viz in tooltip is triggered by a tooltip action filter, which is automatically generated for the sheet used in tooltip when hovering over a mark. A tooltip filter is added by inserting a sheet but not a calculated field in the tooltip. To generate tooltip filters, inserting all sheets used as viz in tooltip is required, but they can be hidden by setting 1 for the maxwidth and maxheight tags.
For more details, see the Next level Viz in Tooltip session from the Tableau Conference 2018. (The technique is introduced at 33:30).
Thank you for providing your feedback on the effectiveness of the article.
Open new Case
Training and Tutorials