Last Modified Date: 20 Jun 2017
- Tableau Desktop 8.2.4 and earlier
- SSL-encrypted PostgreSQL
Use an ODBC Connection and configure SSL Mode for allow.
On the Connect to Data page, select Other Databases (ODBC).
For Connect Using, select the PostgreSQL Unicode driver. Click Connect.
Set SSL Mode to allow.
Use a TDC File
- Placing the TDC files on your Tableau Server computer will stop the Tableau Server Administrative Views from working. (The TDC files require SSL for all Postrgres connections and the Administrative Views are based on Tableau Server's own Postgres database connection, which does not support SSL.)
- Use a .tdc file only to explore or occasionally address issues with your data connection. Creating and maintaining .tdc files require careful manual editing, and troubleshooting .tdc files is beyond the scope of Tableau Support.
Download the attached postgres-ssl.tdc file, and place it in the following locations:
In Tableau Desktop:
- \My Documents\My Tableau Repository\Datasources.
In Tableau Server:
- C:\ProgramData\Tableau\Tableau Server\data\tabsvc\vizqlserver\Datasources
- C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\data\tabsvc\vizqlserver\Datasources
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Tableau\Tableau Server\data\tabsvc\vizqlserver\Datasources
Once the TDC is in place, connect using the native PostgreSQL connector.
When you connect to data sources using the generic ODBC data connection, full compatibility with Tableau features cannot be guaranteed.