Last Modified Date: 02 Jan 2019
- Tableau Desktop
Create a calculated field to reformat the year integer into a date format that Tableau Desktop can understand:
- Right-click your date field in the Dimensions pane and select Change Data Type > String
- Select Analysis > Create Calculated Field.
- In the Calculated Field dialog box that opens, type a name for the field.
- In the Formula box, type the following formula:
DATE("01/01/" + ([Year]))and then click OK.
- Use this new calculated field in the view instead of the date field.
When you import a field from Excel that contains only the year value(YYYY), Tableau recognizes the field as an integer rather than as a date. The date format recognized by Tableau is DD/MM/YYYY.
Discuss this article...
Thank you for providing your feedback on the effectiveness of the article.
Open new Case
Training and Tutorials