Last Modified Date: 18 Jul 2018
AnswerCreating a calculated field that pulls out the month/day data without the year. The attached example workbook uses the sample data set Superstore to demonstrate the following directions:
- Drag [Sales] onto the Rows shelf.
- Drag [Order Date] onto Color on the Marks card.
- Create a calculated field with a name like "Date without year" with a calculation similar to the following:
DATE(MONTH([Order Date]) + DAY([Order Date])+ YEAR(TODAY()))
- All dates in Tableau Desktop must have a year, but for the chart we want all data on the same month/day to be grouped despite the year.
- Therefore we have given all of the date values the same year.
- Right-click and drag [Date without year] to the Columns shelf.
- In the Drop Field dialog, select the green (or continuous) DAY(Date without year) and click OK.
Thank you for providing your feedback on the effectiveness of the article.
Open new Case
Training and Tutorials