Show Only Some Empty Rows or Columns
Published: 28 Feb 2018
Last Modified Date: 14 Oct 2019
QuestionHow to apply a filter to empty rows/columns, so that some empty rows/columns show but not all empty rows/columns
For example, a list of customers is already filtered to show only customers in a certain state. We then want to filter the sales so that only this month's sales show. Customers without sales this month should still be listed with a blank value for sales, but not customers from other states.
AnswerAdd filters that should reduce the number of empty rows/columns to Context.
he attached example workbook uses the sample data set Superstore to demonstrate the following directions.
Step 1: Build the view
- Drag [Customer Name] to the Rows shelf.
- Drag [Sales] to the Columns shelf.
- Drag [State] to the Filters shelf.
- In the Filter dialog, check on state and click OK.
- Drag [Order Date] to the Filters shelf.
- In the Filter Field dialog, select Month/Year and click Next >.
- In the Filter dialog, check one month and click OK.
Step 2: Show some empty rows
- Navigate to Analysis > Table Layout > Show empty rows.
- Right-click [State] on the Filters shelf and select Add to Context.
Discuss this article...