Last Modified Date: 23 Jan 2023
Windows & Linux
AnswerThe following steps describe the best practice when updating an operating system:
- Use TSM to create a backup of your Tableau Server
- Use TSM to verify the backup of Tableau Server
- Once verified, move the .tsback file to a safe location on another machine to ensure it is not lost during the OS installation/upgrade
- Deactivate your product : https://kb.tableau.com/articles/howto/deactivating-server-product-key
- Uninstall Tableau Server
- Choose how you will upgrade the OS and perform the appropriate steps (see Microsoft documentation) for each machine in the Tableau Server cluster
- Clean Install : Will remove the OS and all files on the target drive/partition
- Windows Upgrade : Will perform an in-place upgrade, see Microsoft documentation for expectations
- Install the desired version of Tableau Server which must be greater than or equal to the version you created the backup from and activate the Server product keys.
- Use TSM to restore the backup made in step 1 to your new Tableau Server installation.
- If you also upgraded Tableau Server during this time, retain the backup you made for a period to ensure that you can roll back to the prior Tableau Server version should you discover the need to.
Additional InformationUsing a Blue/Green approach for upgrading Tableau Server
Thank you for providing your feedback on the effectiveness of the article.
Open new Case
Training and Tutorials