Last Modified Date: 06 Mar 2020
EnvironmentAll Tableau Products
AnswerAs a Portal Administrator, request an Activation Summary Report.
Note: You must be a Tableau Portal Administrator to request the Activation Summary report. You may request the report a maximum of once per 24 hours.
Requesting an Activation Summary Report
- Log into your Customer Portal account using your Tableau username and password
- Navigate to My Keys
- Click the “Request Activation Summary Report” button
A new Licensing case will be generated. You can view this case under My Cases.
Once your Activation Summary Report is ready, you will receive an email notification that the report (“<Account> - Activation Summary Report - <YYYY-MM-DD>.csv”) has been attached to your case.
You can access the case by navigating to the My Cases section of the Customer Portal and either selecting My Licensing Cases within the drop-down menu or by searching for subject “Activation Summary Report” and locating the resolved case.
Interpreting an Activation Summary ReportThe activation summary report contains the following information:
- Product Key: The 20 digit code used to activate the software.
- Name, Email and Company: The name, email and company from the User Registration form.
- Version: The version of software in use per the most recent User Registration form.
- Status: Whether each installation of the product key is Active (valid, current) or Obsolete (deactivated).
- Last activity date: the last time a user registration was received.
- Fulfillment ID: a unique ID used to distinguish each activation of a particular product key.
- Portal Account Name: The Portal account where each product key resides.
Additional InformationBy itself, the Activation Summary Report is not a "single source of truth" for Tableau license usage within your organization. Tableau recommends that Administrators use the Activation Summary Report as one component of their overall license management strategy. It can be an especially effective tool to reconcile against your own internal records to ensure that internal controls and processes are working as intended.
Null/blank entries appearing in the Name, Email, Company, and Version fields indicate instances where the Product Key was successfully activated on a user's computer, but Tableau has not since received a completed User Registration form. This can happen for a variety of reasons, most often due to "offline" activations or other network connectivity restrictions.
If you have any questions or issues retrieving your Activation Summary Report, contact the Customer Success team.
Thank you for providing your feedback on the effectiveness of the article.
Open new Case
Training and Tutorials