Tableau checks the following, in order, to determine the workbook locale:
- Workbook Locale (explicit setting)
- Windows system locale and location, or Mac region
- Tableau Language
If none of the above is set, then the workbook locale defaults to English (United States).
Therefore to set the default locale when creating new workbooks:
- Select Start > Control Panel > Clock, Language and Region
- Select Region, the Region and Language options dialog appears:
- Windows 10 & Windows 8: Click Region
- Windows 7: Click Region and Language
- Click the Administrative tab, and under the Language for non-Unicode programs section, click Change system locale and select the desired system locale.
- Click the Location tab, and select the desired current location.
- Click OK and restart the computer to apply the change.
- Open System Preferences.
- Click Language & Region.
- Click Region near the upper right corner of the window to change it.