Last Modified Date: 07 Apr 2020
Step 1: Install and Configure R and Rserve
Install R and run the Rserve service. For more information on installing and configuring R, see R Implementation Notes.
To support running both SSL-enabled and plaintext connections to an Rserve instance, the Rserve Server administrator must add the following entry to the Rserve configuration file on the Rserve Server:
Note: It is not recommended to install any other server applications or databases, including R, on the computers running Tableau Server. When R is not installed on the computer running Tableau Server, it must be configured for a remote connection.
Step 2: Configure Tableau Server
Tableau Server 10.1 and Newer Versions:
- Stop Tableau Server.
- Open the Command Prompt as an administrator and change to the Tableau Server bin directory. For example:
cd "C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\10.5\bin"
- Enter the following commands to set the host address and port values:
<ip address of Rserve>
tabadmin set vizqlserver.extsvc.port <port of Rserve>
tabadmin set vizqlserver.extsvc.username <Rserve username>
tabadmin set vizqlserver.extsvc.password <Rserve password>
- Enter the following command to register the changes:
- Start Tableau Server.
Tableau Server 2018.2 (Windows) / Tableau Server 10.5 (Linux) and Newer Versions:
- Open TSM command line/shell.
- Enter the following command to configure the connection to Rserve:
tsm security vizql-extsvc-ssl enable --connection-type [rserve, rserve-secure] --extsvc-host <host_name> --extsvc-port <port>
- Apply Pending Changes (Tableau Server will restart)
tsm pending-changes apply
Discuss this article...