Last Modified Date: 29 Sep 2020
- Tableau Desktop
- Tableau Server
- Filter Actions
Option 1: Press [Esc]Press the [Esc] key to reset Filter Actions (this option will not work for filters). For more information, see Keyboard Shortcuts.
Option 2: Click the Revert Button on Published ViewsOn published views, click the Revert button to revert to the view at the time it was published, or if applicable the state the Custom View was saved in.
Option 3: Create a button to reset all filters to include all valuesThe directions below use the sample data set Superstore. The workbook attached in the right-hand pane demonstrates these directions for a dimension filter, a date filter, and a Filter Action.
Build the Reset Button Worksheet
- Select Analysis > Create Calculated Field
- In the Calculated Field dialog box that opens, do the following, and then click OK:
- Name the calculated field. In this example, the calculated field is named "Reset Label"
- In the formula field, create a calculation similar to the following:
- Drag [Reset Label] to Text on the Marks card
- In the top gray bar, change the dropdown from Standard to Fit Width
- To add a background color, navigate to Format > Shading…
- In the Format Shading panel, under Default for Worksheet, select a color in the dropdown
- To change font color, navigate to Format > Font…
- In the Format Font panel, under Default for Worksheet, select a color in the dropdown
- Add the "Reset Button" worksheet to the dashboard
- Right-click the "Reset Button" worksheet in the dashboard and uncheck Title
Create the Action Filter to Make the Button Work
- Navigate to Dashboard > Actions…
- In the Actions dialog, click Add Action > Filter…
- In the Add Filter Action dialog, do the following:
- For Source Sheets, check only Reset Button
- For Run action on, choose Select
- For Target Sheets, check all worksheets that have filters that should be resettable
- For Clearing the selection will, select Show all values
- For Target Filters, choose Selected Fields
- Click Add Filter…
- In the Add Filter dialog, pick a dimension whose filter should be resettable and click OK
- Repeat the above two steps for all filters that should reset when the button is pressed.
Note: there will be a "Missing fields on Reset Button" warning. This warning will not affect the solution and can be ignored.
- Click OK twice to close all dialogs.
Option 4: Use an Extension to Revert to a PresetExtensions are third party add-ons that add functionality to Tableau. To set up extensions, please see Use Dashboard Extensions. You may need to reach out to your administrator for Tableau Server or Tableau Online to enable the extension online. For issues with specific extensions please reach out to the party that wrote the extension; This information is available in the right-hand pane of the extension page under Support.
- Download the Filter Bookmarks extension
- Add the Filter Bookmarks extension to a dashboard
Additional InformationNotes on Option 3
- To reset Filter Actions set to All Fields for Target Filters, add all dimensions on the source sheet of the resettable Action Filter to the Action Filter for the Reset Button
- The Reset Button will clear the affects of other Action Filters on their target worksheets, but will not unselect the marks in the source sheets
- The "Reset Button" cannot be filtered! If there is a filter applied to All Using This Datasource or All Using Related Datasources, then this will also filter the "Reset Button" worksheet.
- The Reset Button will not reset wildcard filters or continuous filters.
Discuss this article...
Thank you for providing your feedback on the effectiveness of the article.
Open new Case
Training and Tutorials