Last Modified Date: 23 Feb 2016
This article demonstrates how you can plot U.S. 5-digit Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS) county codes on a map view. Follow the steps below to insure that Tableau can recognize 5-digit FIPS county codes as county geographical data.
Step 1: Change the Data Type to String
- Download and open the FIPS 5 County Codes example workbook.
- Right-click County FIPS 5 and select Change Data Type > String.
Step 2: Assign the County geographic role to the field
- Right-click County FIPS 5 again and select Geographic Role > County.
Step 3: Build the view
- From Dimensions, drag State to Detail on the Marks card.
- From Dimensions, drag County FIPS 5 to Detail on the Marks card.
- Click the Marks card drop down menu and select Filled Map.
5. From Dimensions, drag County to Label on the Marks card.
The resulting map view shows the counties for the state of New York.