Last Modified Date: 26 May 2016
- Tableau Server
- Relational data sources
ResolutionRevise the workbook to filter based on a parameter. The example below filters a workbook by Category across all worksheets.
- Right-click in the Data window and then select Create Parameter.
- In the Create Parameter dialog box, do the following, and then click OK:
- Name the parameter. In the example workbook, the parameter is named CategorySelect.
- For Data Type, select String.
- For Allowable values, select List.
- For List of Values, enter All, Technology, Furniture, Office Supplies.
- Select Analysis > Create Calculated Field.
- In the Calculated Field dialog box that opens, do the following and then click OK:
- Name the calculated field. In the example workbook, the calculated field is named Matches Parameter.
- In the formula field, create a calculated field similar to the following:
[CategorySelect]="All" OR [CategorySelect]=[Category]
- Drag the newly created calculated field from the Dimensions pane to the Filter shelf.
- In the Filter dialog box that opens, select True, and then click OK.
- On Filters, right-click Matches Parameter, and then select Apply to Worksheets > All Using This Data Source.
CauseBecause switching tabs triggers an AJAX request rather than a full page load, URL filters are not loaded.
Thank you for providing your feedback on the effectiveness of the article.
Open new Case
Training and Tutorials