Last Modified Date: 09 Nov 2017
- Tableau Server
- Microsoft Excel
- Non-US locale setting for the Tableau Server user
- In Microsoft Excel, select the column that contains the strings that should be numbers, and then open the Find and Replace dialog box.
- In the Find and Replace dialog box, make the following selections, and then click Replace All.
- For Find what, press ALT and type 0160, using the number keypad.
- For Replace with, leave the field blank.
The incorrectly formatted strings are replaced with numbers.
- Download the workbook from Tableau Server.
- Open it in Tableau Desktop and export the data as crosstab (Worksheet > Export > Crosstab to Excel)
Option 3As an alternative workaround, work with your IT team to change your computer's local setting.
- Open the Windows Region and Language settings.
- Change Format to match the crosstab formatting, e.g. English (South Africa).
- Select Apply.
- Open .csv exported from Tableau Server.
CauseIn certain locales, thousand separators are exported from Tableau Server as non-breaking spaces. When Microsoft Excel encounters a thousand separator in a number that is denoted by a non-breaking space, it treats that number as a string.
Additional InformationOracle International Language Environments Guide: Decimal and Thousands Separators
Thank you for providing your feedback on the effectiveness of the article.
Open new Case
Training and Tutorials