Not All Cores Recognized by Tableau Server
Published: 01 Jun 2014
Last Modified Date: 03 Oct 2017
IssueOne or more of the following symptoms might occur when working with Tableau Server core-based licensing:
- When installing Tableau Server, the installer might show fewer cores than you would expect to see for the computer running Tableau Server.
- On the Licenses page on Tableau Server, the number of cores listed under Licenses in Use is less than you would expect to see.
- When you run tabadmin licenses, Tableau Server might report fewer cores in use that you would expect to see.
- Tableau Server
- Core-based licensing
ResolutionThe number of physical cores, not the number of logical processors, is used to determine licensing, regardless of socket configuration. Specifically, Intel Hyper-Threading Technology is not taken into account for system requirements or licensing checks.
For example, if a server has two sockets with a dual-core processor in each socket, 4 cores are detected. If the dual-core processors use Hyper-Threading, the operating system will indicate 8 processors on the Performance tab in Windows Task Manager, but only 4 cores will be detected for Tableau Server licensing purposes.
Additional InformationWhen installing Tableau Server on a supported cloud platform, such as AWS (Amazon Web Services), Azure, or GCP (Google Cloud Platform), the number of virtual CPUs (vCPU) will not always directly correspond to the number of cores that Tableau Server detects for licensing purposes. The following table provides a general overview of how Tableau Server will detect for the AWS, Azure and GCP.
This table provides only general information. Use the following instructions to confirm the actual core count:
|Platform||vCPU / Cores on Compute Instance||Cores detected by Tableau Server||Ratio|
The NumberOfCores value indicates the number of cores that Tableau Server uses for core licensing.
- On the virtual machine where Tableau Server is running, open a command window.
- Run following command: WMIC CPU Get NumberOfCores,NumberOfLogicalProcessors
Note: The minimum recommended number of Cores for Tableau Server in production environments is 8. For more information, see All Technical Specifications.