Last Modified Date: 11 Jan 2018
- Tableau Server 10.0 - 10.2
Important: Do not attempt the below steps in Tableau Server 10.5 or newer versions. With the introduction of the new Tableau Data Engine processes, they are unnecessary and will not work.
Increase the number of Data Engine Processes on computers running Tableau Server
Additional Data Engine Optimizations
- For 10.0.0 - 10.0.4 and 10.1.0 - 10.1.2, increase the Data Engine processes to 3 or 4. Note: CPU load should be monitored closely as part of the configuration change.
- For 10.0.5 - 10.0.7 and 10.1.3 - 10.1.5, increase the Data Engine processes to 3 or 4 and run the steps below for optimal performance.
Optimization of data engine string:
- On the computer running Tableau Server, open the Command Prompt window as an administrator and run the following command to change the directory to the Tableau Server bin folder:
cd "C:\Program Files\Tableau\Tableau Server\[version]\bin"
- At the command prompt, run the following commands in order:
tabadmin set dataengine.optimize_icu true
For 10.0.9, 10.1.6 and newer versions, the data engine string optimization occurs by default and these additional steps are not necessary.
Other Optimizations for upgrades to major versions
As with any major version upgrade, we recommend optimizing existing workbooks and extracts for the new functionality.
- For more information about optimizing extracts, see Optimize Extracts.
- For more information about optimizing workbooks, see Optimize Workbook Performance.