Error: "Tableau Data Engine Error: 505" When Connecting to Excel on Windows
Published: 16 Sep 2017
Last Modified Date: 13 Nov 2017
IssueWhen connected to Excel, the following error may occur in Tableau Desktop:
Tableau Data Engine Error: 505.
- Tableau Desktop
- Close all instances of Tableau Desktop.
- Navigate to the Tableau caching folder:
- Bydefault: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Tableau\Caching
- Note: If you are unable to see the AppData folder, you will need to configure the Windows settings to show hidden files and folders. For more information, see Show hidden files (Microsoft Help article)
- Delete the contents of the following folders: TemporaryExtracts and ExternalCacheV1.