To help resolve the issue, do the following two tasks:
1. Check that Tableau Server can be accessed and logged in to from a browser on the same machine that is running Tableau Desktop.
2. Verify that there are no firewalls blocking TableauDesktop.exe from communicating over the network.
- Click the Start button, select Control Panel > Windows Firewall.
- Click Allow program to communicate through Windows Firewall link in the left-side pane.
- Click the Allow another program button, scroll to and select Tableau 8.0.
- Click the Add button.
- When finished, click OK.