Last Modified Date: 16 Jan 2017
- Tableau Server
- Tableau Online
ResolutionTo resolve this issue, publish the data source as a Tableau Server data source, and then replace the local data source with the published data source.
Publish the data source
- In Tableau Desktop, right-click the data source in the Data window, and select Publish to Server.
- Type a name in the Name field.
- From the Authentication drop-down list, select Embedded Password.
- Click the Publish button.
- Select Data > New Data Source.
- Select Tableau Server.
- Select the published data source from the list.
- Return to the worksheet.
- Select Data > Replace Data Source.
- In the Current drop-down list, select the name of original data source.
- In the Replacement drop-down list, select the name of new data source.
- Click OK.
CauseThe prompt for credentials will occur for users who are not the original publishers of the workbook. This behavior is designed to prevent unauthorized users from accessing the data that may not be visible in the view. Using a published data source will allow editing of the workbook without prompting for password.
Thank you for providing your feedback on the effectiveness of the article.
Open new Case
Training and Tutorials