Last Modified Date: 23 May 2016
Step 1: Create Data
- Open a new worksheet in Microsoft Excel.
- In the top-left cell, type in Region. This is your column heading.
- In the Region column, type East, West, Central, South, North each on its own row.
- Save the spreadsheet as Legend.xlsx.
Step 2: Connect to Data
- In Tableau Desktop, select Data > Connect to Data.
- Select Microsoft Excel, and then open Legend.xlsx.
- In the Excel Workbook Connection dialog box, select Sheet1, and then click OK.
- Select Connect Live.
- Navigate to Data > Connect to Data, and connect to Superstore sample data.
Step 3: Create Views
- From the Superstore sample data, double-click Region and Sales.
- Drag Region to Color.
- Select Worksheet > New Worksheet.
- Under Data, select Sheet1 (Legend.xlsx).
- Right-click Region, and then select Default Properties > Color.
- Edit color to match the color legend in the main data source, and then click OK.
- From Sheet1 (Legend.xlsx), drag Region to Rows and to Color.
- Under Data, select the Superstore sample data, and then drag Region to Rows.
- Right-click this Region field on Rows, and then clear Show Header.
Step 4: Create Dashboard
- Select Dashboard > New Dashboard.
- Drag Sheet 1 and Sheet 2 onto the view.
- Remove the layout container that includes the legends. For more information, see Layout Containers in Tableau Help.
- Select Dashboard > Actions.
- In the Actions dialog box, select Add Action > Filter, click Select, and then click OK twice.
Thank you for providing your feedback on the effectiveness of the article.
Open new Case
Training and Tutorials