Last Modified Date: 22 Aug 2017
AnswerThis example is based on Superstore sample data and starts with a view containing Category and Sub-Category on rows.
Option 1: Create a placeholder field
- Select Analysis > Create Calculated Field.
- Name the field Blank, enter the following formula, then click OK:
- Place this new "Blank" dimension on the Text mark.
Option 2: Change the mark color
- Right-click the Abc text in the view and select Format.
- Change the pane color to a color that matches the background (e.g., white).
- Click the shading icon and decrease the banding size for rows to eliminate row banding.
Additional InformationBy default, Tableau uses "Abc" placeholder text for any values that could potentially be displayed. In cases where you are using only dimensions or discrete values, Tableau leaves the empty column with the "Abc" placeholder text.
To format the column and row dividers, see Format Borders in the Online Help.
Thank you for providing your feedback on the effectiveness of the article.
Open new Case
Training and Tutorials