Last Modified Date: 07 Dec 2015
Group the months or quarters using a calculated field. The following instructions can be reviewed in the workbook attached below:
- In Tableau Desktop, click Analysis.
- Select Create Calculated Field.
- In the dialog box enter the following formula:
IF DATEPART('quarter', [Date]) < 3 THEN 'Semester 1' ELSE 'Semester 2' END
- Name the calculation and press OK.
- The new field will appear under Dimensions.
Additional InformationIt is possible to create more complex date calculations to narrow down to a specific range of dates, instead of using the default 'quarter'. To learn more about Date calculations please refer to the On Demand training video: Date Calculations
And for a more descriptive article on the Date Functions available in Tableau Desktop please refer to the product guide here: Date Functions.
Thank you for providing your feedback on the effectiveness of the article.
Open new Case
Training and Tutorials