Last Modified Date: 22 Nov 2017
AnswerCreate a calculated field that returns today's date to use as a reference line.
The attached example workbook uses the sample data set Superstore to demonstrate the following directions:
- Drag [Order Date] to the Columns shelf
- Right-click [Order Date] on the Columns shelf and select the second Month
- Drag [Sales] to the Rows shelf
- Select Analysis > Create Calculated Field
- In the Calculated Field dialog box that opens, do the following, and then click OK:
- Name the calculated field. In this example, the calculated field is named "Today's Date"
- In the formula field, create a calculation similar to the following:
- Drag [Today's Date] to Detail on the Marks card
- Note: This step is necessary because reference lines can only be created from data in the view.
- Right-click [Today's Date] on the Marks card and select Exact Date
- Right-click the date axis and select Add Reference Line
- In the Add Reference Line, Band, or Box dialog, do the following and click OK:
- For Value, select Today's Date from the dropdown
- Format the reference line as desired
Thank you for providing your feedback on the effectiveness of the article.
Open new Case
Training and Tutorials