Last Modified Date: 17 Jan 2017
- Tableau Desktop
- Tableau Server
- In Tableau Desktop, right click on the data source in the Data Pane and select Edit Data Source.
- From the Data Source window, select Data > Edit Connection from the top menu.
- In the Excel Workbook Connection dialog box, type the full universal naming convention (UNC) path to the Excel data source.
- For example,
D:\datasource.xlshas a UNC path that looks like the following:
\\workstation1\d$\datasource.xls, where "workstation1" is the full computer name.
- Select Server > Publish Workbook.
- In the Publish Workbook to Tableau Server dialog box, uncheck Include External Files.
- Click the Publish button.
- Make sure that the Tableau Server Run As User account has access to the location where the Excel file is saved.
- Unchecking Include External Files ensures that Tableau Server connects directly to the original Excel file.
Note: Include External Files effects all external files used in the workbook.
Thank you for providing your feedback on the effectiveness of the article.
Open new Case
Training and Tutorials